Thursday 18 July 2013

Record labels

Record labels
A record label is brand associated with the marketing of music. Artists in the music industry have become very reliant on the record label that they are signed with as they help a lot to:
* Promote fund and manage the artist
* deal with marketing and promotion for things such as music videos
* also deal with production, manufacture and distribute records
* broaden their consumer base

There are two main types of records labels major and minor/independent.

Major 
Major record labels are large international media groups and there are three big major record labels which are Sony BMG, Universal music group and Warner music group. They can at any one time represent 75% of the music sold within a year. 

Minor/Independent
Minor record labels are smaller labels that operate without the funding of the big three record labels. Examples of minor labels are Domino (Arctic Monkeys), Rough Trade, 4AD (Bon Iver), Merge and Lost highway. 


The reason I have looked into record labels is to start to consider where my artist I create will fit depending on their genre of music and what type of person I want them to be. By now I am starting to form a clear visual of what type of artist I am going to start to form and what type of record label I want them to be signed to etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment